Payment Deposit Options
Direct DepositIf you receive child support payments from the Maryland Child Support Administration, and have a checking account, you may apply for Direct Deposit. This will enable you to receive payments faster and eliminate inconveniences associated with manual checks. To apply for Direct Deposit, choose one of the two options below.
- Apply online by logging into your myDHR account and click on “Enroll in Direct Deposit”. It is simple and easy and ensures your application is processed faster than if you mail in your application. Visit myDHR often to check your payments online.
- Complete the Child Support Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form (English)
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form (Spanish)
- Include a
- voided check or a copy of a voided check,
- a copy of your driver’s license,
- state issued identification card or a valid passport
- and mail your completed application and required documentation to: CSA Direct Deposit Enrollment Application Post Office Box 17615 Baltimore, Maryland 21297
General Program InformationThe Maryland Child Support Administration (CSA) offers an Electronic Payment Issuance Card (EPiC) as the alternative choice to receiving child and spousal support payments by mail or direct deposit. EPiC is a Visa Debit Card. EPiC makes it easier, faster and safer for families to receive monthly child support payments. You do not need to have a bank account to receive a card and use EPiC. If you have a checking account, you may apply instead for Direct Deposit. EPiC provides access to your funds 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can use your EPiC to make purchases everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. You will also have cash access via PIN-based point-of-sale (POS) terminals and ATMs. Cardholders can check the balance on their cards and review all their account transaction activity 24 hours a day using the Bank of America Website or by calling 1-866-213-4074. Here’s how the cards work:
- Enrollment in EPiC is automated. Approximately 30 days after you receive your first payment by check you will receive your EPiC.
- Whenever you are due to receive a payment, CSEA will send the funds by Electronic Funds Transfer to your EPiC.
- You can then use EPiC to make purchases or withdrawals until the funds are exhausted.
- You cannot make any additional deposits to the account. Only CSEA can fund the card.
- This is not a credit card and attempting to use your card for purchases that exceed your balance will result in the transaction being declined.
EPiC BenefitsCONVENIENCE & FLEXIBILITY This new prepaid debit card is a particularly useful option for recipients that don’t have bank accounts. The cards are secure, easy to use, and provide many options for making withdrawals and purchases. Benefits of the card include:
- No more check-cashing fees
- Accepted everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including in store, online or by phone purchases
- Access to cash provided at point of sale* terminals, ATMs and at Visa banks and credit unions
- Easy bill payment in person or online
- Convenient budgeting tool – access only the funds you need, when you need them
- Convenient account information and customer service – available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Secure and convenient fund transfers from EPiC to an existing bank account
Fee ScheduleIn most cases, recipients won’t have to pay a fee to make purchases or withdraw cash from a bank or ATM (see Fee Schedule below). Cardholders have free access to thousands of Bank of America in-network ATMs in Maryland, neighboring states, and nationwide. Online ATM-finders are available for Bank of America ATMs on Bank of America’s website.
Schedule of Bank Fees
|Services with No Fees|
|Purchases at merchants (signed, using PIN, online, phone or mail purchase)||No Fee|
|Bank of America ATM Withdrawal (in the U.S.)||No Fee|
|ATM Balance Inquiries (all ATMs)||No Fee|
|Declined Transactions (ATMs only)||No Fee|
|Online, Automated, Live or International Customer Service Inquiry||No Fee|
|Account Alert Service||No Fee|
|Online Funds Transer||No Fee|
|Services with Fees|
|ATM Transaction Fees*|
|Non Bank of America ATM Withdrawal (in the U.S.)||ONE FREE per week then $1.50 per transaction|
|ATM Withdrawal International (all ATMs outside the U.S.)||$3.50 per transaction|
|Other Service Fees|
|Cash Access (Available at financial institutions that accept Visa cards. Limited to available balance only)||No Fee for first withdrawal each week, $5.00 thereafter|
|Emergency Cash Transfer for remaining account balance (under $20.00)**||1 waived per year|
|Emergency Cash Transfer (in the U.S.)**||$15.00 per transaction|
|Emergency Cash Transfer (outside the U.S.)**||$30.00 per transaction|
|Card Replacement Domestic||No fee for first replacement each year, $2.50 thereafter|
|Card Replacement – Express Delivery (additional charge)||$15.00 per request|
|Card Replacement International (outside the U.S.)||Quote provided at time of request as price varies by country|
|International Transaction Fee||2% of U.S. Dollar amount of transaction|
|Legal Processing Fee||$100 (or such amount as may be set by law)|
*ATM owners may impose an additional “convenience fee” or “surcharge fee” for certain ATM transactions (a sign should be posted at the ATM to Indicate additional fees); however, you will not be charged any additional convenience or surcharge fees at a Bank of America ATM. A Bank of America ATM means an ATM that prominently displays the Bank of America name and logo. Balance inquiries may not be available at all ATMs outside of the U.S. An ATM Transaction Decline occurs when you request an amount greater than your balance or you incorrectly enter your PIN more than four times. **All Emergency Cash Transfers must be initiated through the Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service Center. NOTE: For any questions related to the above fee schedule, please call the Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service Center at 1-866-213-4074 TTY: 1-866-656-5913 Collect, when calling outside the U.S. :423-262-1650 For any questions regarding your child support benefits payment amounts and scheduled dates of additions to your account, please call the MD Child Support Enforcement Administration at 1-800-723-9937
Hardship ExemptionThere are thousands of merchants and financial institutions that accept Visa debit cards for purchases and cash withdrawals. However, there may be rare situations when a customer is unable to participate in the EPiC or a direct deposit program. In these cases, you may file for an exemption from these two options. Exemptions will be authorized under specific conditions as outlined below:
- Cannot access the funds due to:
- physical or mental disability;
- language barrier;
- literacy barrier; or if
- there is no financial institution within 10 miles of your home or place of employment.
How to Activate EPiCActivation of the card is simple and secure. It’s no more difficult than activating a credit card.
- You’ll receive your card along with instructions on how to activate and use it. Once you receive the card, you can activate online or by calling 1-866-213-4074 toll-free. Once activated, you may use your card.
- For security reasons you’ll need:
- the 16-digit number that appears on the face of the card
- the 3-digit card security number that appears on the back of the card
- the last four digits of your social security number (or ITIN) or Unique Agency Assigned Identification Number.
- During the activation process, you’ll be asked to create a personal identification number (PIN). The PIN can be used to make ATM withdrawals and PIN purchases
- Once the card is activated, you’ll be given the account balance and may begin using it immediately.
How to Use Your EPiCPURCHASES You can use your card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. To conduct purchases with a signature:
- Present or swipe your card.
- Choose “credit.”
- Sign, take your card and receipt.
- Swipe your card.
- Choose “debit” and enter your PIN.
- Many grocery stores, convenience stores, and U.S. post offices offer cash back without a fee.
- If you want cash, select the amount and it will be added to your purchase.
- Take your card, cash and receipt.
- There is no fee for online and telephone balance inquiries.
- Sign up for free balance alerts (mobile text message and e-mail) by logging in to your account.
- ATM balance inquiries:
- No fee for balance inquiries made at a Bank of America in-network ATM.
- For inquiries made at ATMs other than Bank of America in-network ATMs, the owner of the ATM may charge a fee. Bank of America won’t charge a fee.
- In-network withdrawals: There’s no fee for withdrawals from ATMs owned by Bank of America. There are hundreds of ATMs providing free access in Maryland, the neighboring states, and nationwide. ATM locators are available for ATMs owned by Bank of America.
- Out-of-network withdrawals: For withdrawals from ATMs that aren’t owned by Bank of America, (after one free withdrawal per deposit, there will be a $1.25 fee charged by Bank of America, plus an additional charge by the owner of the ATM.)
- Be aware of your surroundings at ATMs. If you notice anyone or anything suspicious or unsafe when you approach an ATM, use another ATM or return later.
- At enclosed ATMs, close the door completely. Don’t open the door while you are making your transaction.
- When you use a drive-up ATM, be sure passenger windows are closed and doors are locked.
- If you must use an ATM at night, consider taking someone with you.
- Always protect your card by keeping it in a safe place. If your card is lost or stolen, contact us immediately.
- Be discrete when entering your PIN at the keypad. After completing your transaction, carefully put away your card, cash and receipt before leaving the ATM area.
- Never give your PIN to anyone and never write it anywhere, especially on your card.
- Never give information about your card or PIN over the telephone. If someone is asking for this information, refuse and immediately contact us.
- Call 911 if you need emergency assistance. Immediately contact your local police if you experience or suspect a crime related to your account
- You will need to register a “transfer-to” account prior to performing your first transfer.
- Once your “transfer to” account is authenticated (this can take up to 5 business days), your transfer will be made.
- Once your transfer is made, it can take up to 2 business days to receive your funds in your account, and the transfer cannot be canceled once entered.
Address ChangesAddress changes may be done online through the Profile page once you are signed on to Bank of America’s website. You can also contact the EPiC Customer Service Center at 1-866-213-4074. Be sure to also notify the Maryland CSEA of any address changes.
Lost or Stolen CardsIf your card is lost or stolen, the Bank of America “Zero Liability” Policy protects you against fraudulent transactions (subject to certain conditions). You need only contact the Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service Center at 1-866-213-4074 to report your card lost or stolen and to request a replacement card.
- There is no fee or surcharge for replacement cards.
- If the card has been used prior to its loss, the bank will issue the replacement card in the amount of the remaining balance.
If the post office is unable to deliver a card, it will be returned to the bank. Contact the EPiC Customer Service Center at 866-213-4074 to update your address information and request a new card be mailed to you. Be sure to also notify Maryland CSEA of your new address.