Policies and Procedures

Starting a Residential Child Care Program

Levels of Intensity

Statement of Need

If you are interested in opening a group home that would be licensed by The Department of Human Services (DHS) or the Department of Juvenile Services (DJS) you need to determine if either agency has issued a Statement of Need (SON) Human Services Article §8-703.1. Effective October 1, 2008 DHS and DJS must issue a SON which is an official certification of public need for the location and establishment of a residential child care program. A proposal may not be submitted to the Governor’s Office for Children until DHS or DJS has issued a statement of need for a residential child care program in a county.


Human Services Article 8-703.1