Applying for Water Assistance
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a new program providing benefits for water and wastewater costs for low-income households experiencing hardship with their water bills.
If you are having trouble affording your water/wastewater bill, you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance. The Office of Home Energy Programs strongly encourages you to apply for assistance before you receive a turn-off notice so that funds can be applied to your account as soon as possible. All OHEP program eligibility is income-based and you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance.
Customers may apply through any one of the following methods:
- You can apply online by visiting: https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us
- Remember to upload all of your documents along with your application.
- Submitting your documents separately from your online application will delay your application
Energy Assistance and Local Department of Social Services offices have secure drop boxes available to receive your application and documents.
- First, download and print the water assistance application. You can also request a paper application from your local Energy Assistance or Local Department of Social Services office or by calling 1-800-332-6347.
- Next, complete your application and gather your documents. You can find a list of documents that you should include in your application by here: Acceptable Documents
- Once you have your completed application and documents, take them to your local office’s drop box and submit them.
To apply by mail, you can request an application be mailed to you, or print a copy of the application and mail it, along with copies of all your documents to your local Energy Assistance or Department of Social Services office. To see a full list of locations please visit:
Office of Home Energy Programs and Local Department of Social Services offices can accept applications over the phone. However, you will need to email or mail your documents to the local office after your information has been taken. Water assistance does not need documents to be scanned, we can accept clear pictures of your documents where text is visible.
Call your local office to schedule an appointment. To see a full list of locations please visit: Office of Home Energy Programs Locations
Information Needed with Application
- Copy of Applicant’s photo identification
- Proof of Residency
- Copies of Social Security cards for the entire household (including children)
- Proof of your household’s total Gross income for the last 30 day period
- If you or someone in your household receives one of the following benefits at the time of the LIHWAP application, you may meet Categorical Eligibility if you can provide proof:
Energy Assistance Programs (MEAP); Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA); Temporary Disability Assistance (TDAP); Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Emergency Rental Assistance (ERAP); and Eligible means-tested Veterans Assistance (VA)
- A copy of your most recent water/wastewater bill, termination notice (if applicable)
Income Eligibility Limits
Effective July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
(Based on 60% of the Maryland State Median Income Level)
(Number of Household Members)
Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standards
(Household Income Before Taxes)
|1||$3,121 / month|
|2||$4,081 / month|
|3||$5,041 / month|
|4||$6,000 / month|
|5||$6,962 / month|
|6||$7,922 / month|
|7||$8,102 / month|
|8||$8,283 / month|
|For Each Additional Person, Add||$180 / month|
All forms are in PDF format (you may download the free Adobe reader on Adobe’s website).
Forms can be filled out electronically or by hand.
ALL forms must be printed and signed by hand.
- Application and Instructions for Water Assistance
- Supplemental Forms