Spending Food Supplement Program Benefits

Food Supplement Program (FSP) benefits are issued to households on an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card, called the Independence Card. You use this card to buy your food. FSP can only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.

Sales tax cannot be charged on items bought with food stamps.

Food stamps cannot be used to buy:

  1. any nonfood item, such as pet foods; soaps, paper products, and household supplies; grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics
  2. alcoholic beverages and tobacco
  3. vitamins and medicines
  4. hot foods that are ready to eat