Earned Income Tax CreditThe Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. If you qualify for the federal earned income tax credit and claim it on your federal return, you may be entitled to a Maryland earned income tax credit on the state return equal to 50% of the federal tax credit. The Maryland earned income tax credit (EITC) will either reduce or eliminate the amount of the state and local income tax that you owe.
Free Tax Prep Locations in MarylandClick here for the CASH Campaign of Maryland’s list of locations across Maryland offering free tax preparation. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Use the IRS EITC AssistantBy answering questions and providing basic income information, you can use the IRS EITC Assistant to:
- Find out if you are eligible for EITC;
- Determine if your child or children meet the tests for a qualifying child; and
- Estimate the amount of your credit.
Additional InformationMore information on EITC can be found online at the Comptroller of Maryland, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), CASH Campaign of Maryland, or by calling the following:
- Maryland United Way Helpline, dial 211 or 1- 800-492-0618, and the TTY line is 410-685-2159
- CASH Campaign of Maryland 410-234-8008 (Baltimore / Metro)
- Comptroller of Maryland, 1-800-MD-TAXES (1-800-638-2937)
- To find a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site offering free tax prep in your area, call 410-685-0525 or 1-800-492-0618, and the TTY line is 410-685-2159