The Department, through its 24 local departments of social services, aggressively pursues opportunities to assist people in economic need, provide preventive services, and protect vulnerable children and adults in each of Maryland’s 23 counties and Baltimore City.
We envision a Maryland where people independently support themselves and their families and where individuals are safe from abuse and neglect.
We will aggressively pursue opportunities to assist people in economic need, provide prevention services, and protect vulnerable children and adults.
Our Mission is based on the following principles:
- Work is indispensable for achieving independence.
- Partnerships and alliances with business and the community are critical to our customers’ ability to achieve and maintain independence.
- Families should be the first resource for the emotional and financial support of their children and other family members.
- Assistance is provided to people while honoring individual and group differences.
- Empowerment is essential to the provision of human services.
- Valuing and acquiring knowledge for the development of staff and for making informed decisions.
- Basing behavior on ethical principles and working with integrity.
- Measuring outcomes and being accountable for results.
- Investing in teamwork to accomplish our mission.
- Valuing each other and respecting different views, opinions, and experiences.
- Seizing opportunities for organizational excellence through innovation and creativity.
- Learning from our experiences and celebrating our accomplishments.
- Promoting employee well-being.