Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance to Families with Children (EAFC) provides emergency cash assistance to families who need emergency help paying rent or utilities or for other emergencies. These funds are available through the local department once every two years when funds are available.


  • Families must have one or more children under 21 living with them.
  • Families must present proof that they have an emergency that was not caused by a family member quitting a job.
  • Families must present an eviction notice from utility company that services have been/will be cut off or other proof of an emergency.

Apply at your Local Department of Social Services in person. You may also file an application by mail, fax or other electronic means or someone may drop an application off for you.

Apply online: Go to MyMDTHINK website https://mymdthink.maryland.gov/home/#/

You will need:

  1. Identification
  2. Proof of Address:
    • Apartment or house lease
    • electric, gas, water, or phone bill
    • rent book
    • rent receipt
    • or mortgage statement
  3. Proof of Income for Past 2 Months:
    • past 2 months pay stubs that show your income,
    • or most recent benefit letter for government checks
      • SSI
      • SSDI
      • VA
      • Social Security
      • or any others
  4. Proof of Emergency
    • Eviction Notice
    • Utility Cut-Off Notice
    • or other proof
  5. Proof of Other Cash or Non Cash resources.
    • Bring most recent savings and checking account statements
  6. Social Security Number:
    • Everyone who gets services must have a social security number.
  7. Proof of Household Expenses. Bring as many of the following as you can:
    • most recent BG&E gas or electric bill
    • most recent fuel oil or propane bill that shows the company’s name, address, and telephone number
    • receipt or written statement of child care costs
    • real estate tax bill
    • recent doctor or hospital bills.