Applying For Energy Assistance?

Watch the Video to Learn How To Apply For Energy Assistance

How to Apply for Energy Assistance:

Customers may apply through any one of the following methods:

Drop Boxes

Application for Energy Assistance (fillable application). You can also request a paper application by calling 1-800-332-6347.

Online Submission

You can apply online by visiting:

Mail-in Applications


Energy Assistance offices can accept applications over the phone. However, you will need to email or mail your documents to the local office after your information has been taken. Energy assistance does not need documents to be scanned, we can accept clear pictures of your documents where text is visible.


Energy Assistance is a year-round program. You can apply at any time during the year, but you can only receive benefits once each year and must reapply each fiscal year (July- June).

If you are having trouble affording your utility or heating bill, you do not need a turn-off notice to qualify for assistance. The Office of Home Energy Programs strongly encourages you to apply for assistance before you receive a turn-off notice so that funds can be applied to your account as soon as possible. All OHEP program eligibility is income-based and you do not need a turn-off notice to qualify for assistance.

To Apply By Paper Application:

Energy Assistance offices have secure drop boxes available to receive your application and documents.

  • First, download and print the Application for Energy Assistance. You can also request a paper application by calling 1-800-332-6347.
  • Next, complete your application and gather your documents. You can find a list of documents that you should include in your application here: Instructions Form
  • Once you have your completed application and documents, take them to your local office’s drop box and submit them.
  • Baltimore City residents should drop applications at the nearest CAP Center. For a list of locations, click here:

View the Insider's Guide to Applying

Information Needed with Application

  1. Copy of Applicant’s photo identification
  2. Proof of Residency
  3. Copies of Social Security cards for the entire household (including children)
  4. Proof of your household’s total Gross income for the last 30 day period
  5. A copy of your most recent Utility bill, termination notice (if applicable)
  6. A copy of your most recent heating fuel bill or receipt (if applicable)

Income Eligibility

FY25 Income Guidelines Coming Soon

Application Documents

All forms are in PDF format (you may download the free Adobe reader here).
Forms can be filled out electronically or by hand.
ALL forms must be printed and signed by hand.



Brochures and Other Important Information