Refugee Transitional Cash Assistance

Program Description

Refugee Transitional Cash Assistance (also referred to as “RTCA”) is a state-administered and federally-funded temporary financial assistance program. It is available to qualified legal immigrants to allow them sufficient time to secure employment and become economically independent. The program is comparable to Maryland’s Temporary Cash Assistance for Families (TCA) program in benefits and requirements, but is designed to help qualified immigrants without dependent children.

Where can you apply for RTCA?

The Maryland Office of Refugees and Asylees (MORA) administers RTCA in partnership with local resettlement agencies. You may visit one of the following agencies to see if you are eligible to apply.

Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC)
The World Building
8121 Georgia Avenue Suite 800, Silver Spring, M.D. 20910

International Rescue Committee (IRC) Baltimore
Baltimore Resettlement Center
1900 N Howard St #200, Baltimore, MD 21218

International Rescue Committee (IRC) Silver Spring
Suburban Washington Resettlement Center
8719 Colesville Road, 3rd Floor, Silver Spring, MD 20910

Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area (LSS/NCA)
Maryland Office, 3799 East West Highway, Hyattsville, MD 20782

[Note: You should be prepared to produce proof of your immigration status when you make an appointment to determine program eligibility]