Applying for Energy Assistance
Energy Assistance is a year round program. You can apply at any time during the year, but you can only receive benefits once each year and must reapply each fiscal year (July- June).
If you are having trouble affording your utility or heating bill, you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance. The Office of Home Energy Programs strongly encourages you to apply for assistance before you receive a turn-off notice so that funds can be applied to your account as soon as possible. All OHEP program eligibility is income-based and you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance.
Customers may apply through any one of the following methods:
- You can apply online by visiting: https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us
- Remember to upload all of your documents along with your application.
- Submitting your documents separatley from your online application will delay your application
Many Energy Assistance offices, particularly in Baltimore City, Montgomery County, and Prince George’s County where the virus has hit the hardest, have secure drop boxes available to receive your application and documents.
- First, download and print the Application for Energy Assistance. You can also request a paper application by calling 1-800-332-6347.
- Next, complete your application and gather your documents. You can find a list of documents that you should include in your application by here: Instructions Form
- Once you have your completed application and documents, take them to your local office’s drop box and submit them.
To apply by mail, you can request an application be mailed to you, or print a copy of the application and mail it, along with all of your documents to your local Energy Assistance office. To see a full list of locations please visit:
Energy Assistance offices can accept applications over the phone. However, you will need to email or mail your documents to the local office after your information has been taken. Enery assistance does not need documents to be scanned, we can accept clear pictures of your documents where text is visible.
Since many of our offices also process applications for other social services programs (Food Stamps, TCA, etc), it may take a while to get an in-person appointment. However, due to local COVID-19 restricitions, some offices are not offering appointments. Call your local office to see if they are scheduling appointments.
Information Needed with Application
- Copy of Applicant’s photo identification
- Proof of Residency
- Copies of Social Security cards for the entire household (including children)
- Proof of your household’s total Gross income for the last 30 day period
- A copy of your most recent Utility bill, termination notice (if applicable)
- A copy of your most recent heating fuel bill or receipt (if applicable)
OHEP will not count 2020 CARES Act federal assistance as part of your monthly household income. If you received assistance through the 2020 CARES Act in the form of an Individual Rebate, Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, Pandemic Unemployment Compensation, or Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation, these dollars do not count toward your gross monthly income calculation. Regular unemployment compensation will be included in the calculation of gross income.
|Income Eligibility Limits
Effective July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021
(Based on 175% of the Federal Poverty Level)
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standards|
|For Each Additional Person, Add||$654|
All forms are in PDF format (you may download the free Adobe reader here).
Forms can be filled out electronically or by hand.
ALL forms must be printed and signed by hand.
- Application and Instructions for Energy Assistance
- Supplemental Forms
- Alimony Child Support Form
- Concern for Personal Safety Privacy Form
- Crisis Season Declaration Form
- Declaration of Zero Income
- Household Worksheet
- Income Verification of Self-Employment
- Landlord Agreement
- Physician Certification
- Proxy Authorization Form
- Rent – Living Arrangements Form
- Resource Provider Statement
- Wage Verification