Applying for Energy Assistance

Energy Assistance is a year round program. You can apply at any time during the year, but you can only receive benefits once each year and must reapply each fiscal year (July- June). If you received benefits between July 1, 2019 and May 31, 2020, you can reapply now for benefits that will be issued in July 2020.

If you are having trouble affording your utility or heating bill, you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance. The Office of Home Energy Programs strongly encourages you to apply for assistance before you receive a turn-off notice so that funds can be applied to your account as soon as possible. All OHEP program eligibility is income-based and you do not need a turn off notice to qualify for assistance.

Customers may apply through any one of the following methods:

Information Needed with Application

  1. Copy of Applicant’s photo identification
  2. Proof of Residency
  3. Copies of Social Security cards for the entire household (including children)
  4. Proof of your household’s total Gross income for the last 30 day period
  5. A copy of your most recent Utility bill, termination notice (if applicable)
  6. A copy of your most recent heating fuel bill or receipt (if applicable)

Income Eligibility

OHEP will not count 2020 CARES Act federal assistance as part of your monthly household income. If you received assistance through the 2020 CARES Act in the form of an Individual Rebate, Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, Pandemic Unemployment Compensation, or Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation, these dollars do not count toward your gross monthly income calculation. Regular unemployment compensation will be included in the calculation of gross income.

Income Eligibility Limits
Effective July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021
(Based on 175% of the Federal Poverty Level)
Household Size Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standards
1 $1,861
2 $2,515
3 $3,168
4 $3,821
5 $4,475
6 $5,128
7 $5,781
8 $6,435
For Each Additional Person, Add $654

Application Documents

All forms are in PDF format (you may download the free Adobe reader here).
Forms can be filled out electronically or by hand.
ALL forms must be printed and signed by hand.



Brochures and Other Important Information